The Tip of the Iceberg

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Camp America!

My interview for Camp America was last Sunday and had to go to London, near tower bridge. Dad reckoned it would be a good chance for me to drive on motorways and in scary scary London traffic. Ooooh. So we left about 10am and set off on our London mission, armed only with a packet of sherbert lemons and a flask of not very hot coffee. Yay.

We arrived about an hour early which was nice as we went and got lunch at this little bar and resturant. Nice little father/daughter bonding session. Then at about ten to two we walked down to the apartment and I went up to the flat. I had to take my shoes off before even entering the flat! It was really strange. Then in every corner there was a candle burning scented oils so that the whole place stank - nicely, but strong all the same! The first thing he said to me (after take your shoes off) was "I love your necklace! I love dolphins!" I knew then that we were gonna get on fine. So we chatted for abit while I filled in about my third CRB form and he read through my aplication form. Then he asked me a few questions. It was clear from my application form that I was a christian and so the first question he asked me was "Ok, pretend I'm a ten year old boy. 'My next door neighbour's a muslim, does that mean he's going to hell?" Aaagh. Well normaly I would just say "well yeah unfortuantely." But thats not really the right thing to say in an interview. I considered giving a very political answer and not actually saying anything but when I see people doing that on TV it annoys me so much. Plus I like to be myself in interviews as theres not point pretending to be someone you're not. I want to get a job because of who i am, not who I can pretend to be. Also if I do get the placement, I'm not sure I could keep up the pretence very long! So i thing i just said "Well in my opinion if they don't believe that God is the one and only God and that Jesus died to save us and have asked Jesus to save them then unfortunately they probably are." It was alot less eloquent than that though (if thats possible!) Should have added that its not for us to judge aswell. Its so hard to think on the spot though.

Well the rest of the interview went ok, I actually really enjoyed it. At the end he asked me if I wanted to know how I'd done. Of course I did and he said "Well at the end off an interview I ask myself two questions. Could I work with this person? Yes definately. I've really enjoyed meeting you! And would I trust my children with this person? Yes definately, I'd even trust my cats with you!" So needless to say I was very happy and promised to send him I postcard if i get through the next stages! Altogether a very positive experience which was just what I needed as I failed my grade eight.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:38 pm, Blogger sparkles said…

    haha - I'm glad to hear he'll trust his cats with you!

    What was his response to your answer to the first question?

    How was the driving?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home